Our training programme is designed to offer you the broadest range of options possible. We provide two educational Programmes that can lead to professional recognition as a counsellor and/or psychotherapist. These are:
- Diploma in Counselling using TA (COSCA Validated)
- Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA)
- Registration as a Psychotherapist with UKCP
Steps along the way
- A prerequisite for entering any TA training course is completion of the 2-day internationally recognised TA101 Introduction to Transactional Analysis. This will introduce you to TA theory and give you a sense of the style of training that you will experience throughout your training journey.
- The Foundation Certificate course includes a three-day Introduction to Counselling Skills module. The complete Foundation Year training is twenty days. As well as the three-day introduction to TA counselling skills course there are eight weekends of training in Transactional Analysis theory and application with an emphasis on experiential learning and personal development within the training group, plus one day of “whole programme training experience” known as the Physis Get Together Day, shared with the other Physis Scotland groups.
- On successful completion of the Foundation Certificate training, measured by attendance, completion of assignments, and personal development, you may apply for advanced training for the Diploma in Counselling using TA and the ultimate qualification as a Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA). There is a total of 3 years of Advanced Training required for the CTA core training, 2 years for the Diploma. These advanced groups meet for 20 days per year including one day of “whole programme training experience” known as the Physis Get Together Day.
- In the final stages of your preparation for the CTA exam and ultimate registration as a UKCP Registered Psychotherapist you can choose to join our Exam Preparation Group for support in successfully completing your written and oral exam processes.
Requirements to Apply for Examination as a TA Psychotherapist With EATA
- 300 hours TA training
- 300 hours TA or other psychotherapy training
- 150 hours supervision – 75 with a TSTA or PTSTA, 75 may be with a TA or other supervisor
- 750 hours clinical experience – 500 hours as primary therapist, 50 hours with couples/groups/families, 200 hours of applied TA
- 500 hours made up of other experiences of applying TA, e.g. personal therapy, supervision, workshops, training and attendance at conferences
Minimum Requirements to Qualify for Registration With UKCP on Completion
- 900 hours tutor contact (training and supervision combined)
- 450 hours supervised client work
- Supervision ratio of 1 hour supervision to 6 hours client work
- Minimum 2 years in supervised practice
- At least 2 long term clients. Mix of long and short term work. Demonstrate experience of closure.
Personal therapy: 40 hours per year for minimum of 4 years and throughout the duration of training “congruent with the psychotherapy in which they are training….normally undergone with a UKCP registered psychotherapist or equivalent.