We are currently accepting applications for our Foundation Year programme 2021/2022. Given the unprecedented times we currently find ourselves in, we will be conducting interviews online for the time being. As soon as the current health crisis has been resolved and the Government allow us to get up close again, we will be interviewing in person in Physis Scotland, 22 Drumsheugh Gardens, Edinburgh, EH3 7RN.
Places are limited and from our experience of the intake year 2020/2021, we recommend applying as soon as possible in order to avoid disappointment. Application deadline is the 10th September 2021.
For all enquiries relating to Foundation Year 2021/2022, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Fiona Firman or Fiona Cook, Directors of Training, on 07927 557 217.
- Are you interested in taking Transactional Analysis to the next level after the TA101?
- Are you a counsellor interested in adding to your knowledge and skills?
- Do you have a professional role that involves personal interaction and want to develop your communication skills further?
- Are you simply interested in investing in learning more about yourself and your interactions with others – at home, in your personal life and in your work life?
The Foundation Certificate in Transactional Analysis could be the opportunity you’ve been looking for!
At Physis Scotland, we offer an introductory training in TA theory and application delivered on 8 weekends, one per month, normally spread over an academic year, and four additional training days (Introduction to Counselling Skills and the Physis “Get Together” Day).
The Foundation Certificate in TA continues the style of the TA101 workshop, providing interactive and dynamic training to enable you to apply the core concepts of TA theory to yourself and your environment.
You may discover more options for relating with others, more ways of resolving conflict, and more possibilities for change in your own life experience. The focus is on applying the core theory to your own process and to your interactions with the trainer and the training group, enabling you to develop your understanding of yourself and others.
The Foundation Certificate is a 1 year Post Graduate level course which can exist as a standalone training experience, simply for personal development, or to enhance existing knowledge and training as a counsellor, or to facilitate your work in an organisation that requires interaction with others.
The Foundation Certificate is also a requirement for further training in TA with Physis Scotland and other TA training institutes.
“People as always for me are top of the list. The extent of the peer support has been invaluable and unexpected. They are my Ready brek glow.”
Components of the Certificate in Transactional Analysis
Note: TA101 is a prerequisite of enrolling in the Foundation Year
- Philosophy of TA, Life Positions, Ego-States (Structural model), Counselling Skills
- Ego-States (Behavioural model), Transactions, Strokes, Time Structuring
- Life Script and Script Analysis
- Passivity, Discounting, Symbiosis and Frame of Reference
- Racket Analysis and Authentic Emotions
- Game Analysis
- Endings in Counselling, Ethics, Presentations and Peer Assessment
- One 3000 word essay
- One 2000 word presentation supporting paper
- A 10-15 minute presentation (including supporting documentation)
- Reflective learning journal
- Observed skills practice
- Ongoing participation in group discussion and process
A minimum of 40 hours of personal therapy per year is a requirement for those wanting to progress into advanced clinical training. Whilst personal therapy is not a requirement in Foundation Year, we strongly recommend it in order to get the most from the programme.
2021/2022 Course Dates
- 1st/2nd/3rd October 2021 (Introduction to Counselling Skills)
- 30th/31st October 2021
- 20th/21st November 2021
- 18th/19th December 2021
- 29th/30th January 2022
- 26th/27th February 2022
- 26th March 2022 (Physis Get Together Day)
- 30th April/1st May 2022
- 28th/29th May 2022
- 18th/19th June 2022
Fiona Cook, PTSTA Fiona Firman, PTSTA and Sheila Beare, PTSTA
On successful completion of Foundation Year participants will be awarded a Physis Scotland Foundation Certificate and will be eligible to progress into Advanced Year 1.
“It has been a brilliant course and year – learning, laughter and tears. The content has been in depth, interesting and very clearly presented. The standard of teaching is consistently high, and the teaching and learning approaches have been varied. I have also learned much through excellent modelling. I have loved the high level of group cohesion which has allowed for more personal in-depth learning. This developed because of the safety created by the trainers.”
Beyond the Foundation Year / Certificate in Transactional Analysis
If you find that you are really “bitten by the TA bug” at the end of the year you can opt to continue your TA journey through any of the options offered by Physis Scotland – Diploma in Counselling using TA or qualification as a Certified Transactional Analyst Psychotherapist (CTA).
Download our 12 page booklet to find out more about the Foundation Year training including training dates
Download the Physis TA Foundation Application Form